Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Blog to Read: Inside the Invisible World of the Homeless

As an AmeriCorps VISTA (Volunteers in Service to America) Member, my job is to fight poverty through service and capacity building. For those of you who don’t know, the AmeriCorps program is the domestic version of the Peace Corps; volunteers serve our country for one year and take the same oath as military personnel.

My year of service has been very eye opening and humbling. But, I still find myself wanting to learn more about what I can do for those in poverty, those who are homelessness and those who find themselves in difficult situations. What I think helps with this process the most is to experience homelessness or poverty for one’s self (a VISTA earns less than $25 per day). So, to take advantage of the technology of the day and to help our blog readers increase their understanding too, I’ve included a link to a wonderful blog story which takes the reader through an urban minister’s perspective on homelessness as she spends one season living as a homeless woman. I find her story inspiring and helpful as First Central strives to serve our local community.

Arloa Sutter’s Blog: Reflections on faith and justice from an urban minister’s perspective
http://arloasutter.blogspot.com/2010/07/inside-invisible-world-of-homeless.html

Posted by Hanna W.

No comments:

Post a Comment