Monday, April 20, 2009

A Calling to Act Justly: My Spiritual Journey and the Environment

Earth Day is celebrated on April 22nd. In honor of this day, I pause for a moment to reflect on how and why my faith journey has influenced my view of the earth and my role as a caregiver. As a member of First Central Congregational Church, United Church of Christ, I was exposed to a theology and subsequent practices, which focused on being good stewards of our resources. This community and the values of my parents heavily influenced my understanding of what it means to be a caregiver for the earth. This community and many individuals taught me to not only respect, but also appreciate Mother Nature by teaching me about the remarkable complexity in its creation, our need to co-exist and the cycle of life. By actively participating in activities which focused on our role as environmental stewards with church friends and family members alike, I began to understand its value and our place in the world. Whether it was by volunteering to plant flowers in the church courtyard, cleaning up our church grounds and local neighborhood, or going on nature walks with Winston, I felt a deeper connection to the world around me. It is from these first experiences and lessons that I learned what it meant to be a steward of the earth. Over the years, my spirituality has expanded- I have weaved other religious tradition’s stories and values into my own personal spirituality and my understanding of what it means to care for the environment. For example, I have incorporated the Jewish concept of Tikkun Olam, which means “repairing the world.” Tikkun Olam serves as my spiritual guide and empowers me to act responsibly and ethically, especially concerning environmental issues. My faith journey, spirituality, and community gives me the courage to be an activist and helps me to make the right choices, so that I can help, even in some small way, repair the world and make it healthier for future generations.

I am so thankful for First Central’s leadership and the chance I have had to witness this faith community heed the call to act justly by taking steps to not only care for humanity, but focus on what we often take for granted, our earth. First Central has made many efforts to “go green” and support the sustainability cause. Among many things, First Central has a community garden, located in the back of the church. To learn more about this project please visit: http://www.gardenbig.org/.

To get involved, learn more about how you can live out your faith or what Omaha is doing on this front, please visit these great websites:
  • Green Omaha Coalition: http://www.greenomahacoalition.org/
  • Earth Day Omaha: http://www.earthdayomaha.com/ (Earth Day Omaha will be celebrated on Saturday, April 25 from 12:00- 8:00 pm)
Posted by: Hanna W.

No comments:

Post a Comment