Friday, November 21, 2008

Thanksgiving Musings

With Thanksgiving right around the corner and the December holidays coming up fast, I wanted to pause and reflect on what this church means to me, and how thankful I am to be apart of such a progressive and open community.

As I walk to the church doors to volunteer for the annual Thanksgiving Dinner on Friday, a smile comes across my face. Only in certain parking lots would you find that half the cars have Obama ’08, GLBT rights or pro-choice bumper stickers. As I see these signs my step lightens, because I know the moment I walk in the doors, my past, my faith journey and my views will be welcomed. There is a sense of pride that comes with this knowledge because I know many who walk through our doors are in my shoes too.

I have been a life time member of First Central (all 23 years). I still remember following a colored ribbon from the Sanctuary to the first floor classrooms for my very first Sunday morning church school visit. First Central became my home away from home. Yet, I have struggled with my “faith” for many years; I still question and doubt. During college I stopped going completely. Now, several years after graduating, I found myself needing my “second family.” So I woke up one Sunday morning in the spring of 2008 and went to church; I was welcomed as if I had been attending the whole time. No questions, no judgments, just hugs and smiles.

As I’m working in the kitchen sorting dishes and running food out to our guests, I feel grateful for the opportunity to give back to the community who helped shape who I am today. After things began to slow down and I was working in the back of kitchen, I could hear the workers doing dishes laughing and telling stories; as their laughter waved my way I could feel the stress of the work week dissolving. There is something therapeutic about hearing others laugh and connect, just like when I smell that one- of- a- kind Sanctuary church smell (you know what I’m talking about), I feel at ease and at home. When I was driving home tonight I could not help but think to myself how lucky I am to have this. So, for this Thanksgiving, I am thankful for my church family, for hearts that open, minds that understand and lives that serve. Posted by Hanna W.

No comments:

Post a Comment